Monday, July 28

done in after duneditin

Thanks to the efforts of local organising officials, this year's conference surpassed all expectations, and there were suggestions that the northern hemisphere should be the default venue in future years.

Indeed there was an even higher level of discussion and intellectual exchange than in previous years. Attendance too was up this year, with a strong presence of blissheids, pissheids, flatheids, and deifheids, and even some normal people like myself.

And I understand the official conference photos will be available just as soon as they can be edited to conform with privacy requirements.

Thanks to a reckless spontaneous decision, to consume a whole bottle of black white beer in pursuit of balance, at one stage I was on the verge of a recurrence of Type IV RDD, but it wore off just in time and common sense prevailed. Overall I was just sober enough to balance up everyone else.

My colleagues were of course disappointed to learn that the text of my prize-winning paper on Ralwin's Postulate had been confiscated at the border, but I have promised to republish it in full form soon. Sadly, my other paper, on cross-cultural toilet-training, was quite savagely vetoed by a zealous or perhaps jealous delegate from the opposing school of thought. That was a particular shame, since it would have been illustrated by topical local references based on an experience earlier that very day! I am already working on next year's submission on the recent paradigm shift in symptomatology of RDD types.

It was generally agreed that the celebrity of the evening was a young lady named, I believe Heather but it's always hard to be certain about these things. Even she found the heady intellectual atmosphere a little stifling until the management were persuaded to open the doors and windows. In the social hubbub I think I even met Doviko at one point.

For myself, one of the strangest experiences was to have one's oevre quoted back at one, so that one wondered: did I really write that, and was it fact or fiction? Being suddenly forced to reprise or defend one's early output is probably quite good for the brain and must surely postpone Alzheimers, but it is hard work. Medically, I got off lightly with only partial hearing loss; grazed shins from an excess of champagne at the reception; and of course a hangover this morning.

I'm sure I speak for everyone in extending my congratulations and thanks to the organisers and caterers. Duneditin 2009, wherever it is hosted, has a lot to live up to.

5 comments:

  1. I say!

    I think congratulations are in order all round. How wonderful to meet you at the conference, and all the other delegates. Duneditin 2008 was a truly expansive experience.

    I was particularly gratified with the response received by my short paper on "The uplifting influence of lesser-known East and Central African cricket poetry blogs on post-adolescent delinquents in Scotland, 2007-2008" though on reflection I have to agree with one of the comments that it was perhaps too broad a topic to do justice to in one hour.

    I think Madyamika rather stole the show, with his highly reflective discourse "Nothing but the 'B' word". I do hope he agrees to give an update at Duneditin 2009.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. A highly successful conference in a stunning venue, covering a wide topic range: thanks indeed to the hosts. I'm sure that Heather will be forever indebted to being referred to as a 'young lady'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ion/MM - Yes, the venue was indeed stunning,

    Brian - just let me know next time you go away and you want someone to help MM IV organise a party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onan! Everything went off much better than anticipated, partly from my point of view by avoiding the beer I brought and just drinking the good stuff. Unfortunately, at the end of the evening I had to stumblebum around the town, quite lost after the driver of the motor pitched us out in some foreign part! Fortunately, the person I was with has some money for a taxi! But for the £5 I spent, don't see how I could have had a better time! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hotters - the only flaw was I was dudded out of my hut management backpay. These filthy employers!

    ReplyDelete