Monday, February 4

sunblock sponsor opportunities

As everyone knows, ever since the end of apartheid in South Africa, Australia has stepped in to assume the role of world leader in white racism.

Amazingly, Australia recently accused an Indian cricketer of racism when he allegedly called this Aussie player a monkey:




The judge appointed to decide the case has now ruled that the Indian player is innocent of the charge, because he didn't actually say the dreadful word monkey, he only called the Australian by the Hindi term 'teri maki' which simply means motherfucker. That's alright then.



This controversy may now be over, but another one is coming up. The new Australian Prime Minister has vowed to open parliament with a formal apology to the Aboriginal community.




While some well-meaning commenters believe that "a government sorry means that Aboriginal people can get on with making their lives better", others are wondering what will happen if Aboriginal leaders refuse to formally accept the apology. It's going to be very interesting. This debate has come along just in the nick of time for the Aussie media - for a while there it looked as if they might have to start focussing on international events.



Last time I was in Australia, I was stopped in the street and asked whether I was for or against saying sorry. I said I was strongly in favour of the British PM apologising for the Battle of Culloden and the Scottish highland clearances.

4 comments:

  1. Albert? I'll apologise if it helps. Sorry for this crappy world.The Poles complained at the EU that the arrangements based on population numbers weren't fair because the Germans had killed so many of them during the Second World War. And so they did! Apologise, ya bass! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's just no pleasing some people. Now everyone and his dog wants lebensraum.

    I've already apologised enough for a whole lifetime, but I do regret not swimming, drinking, loving and effing enough when I was young, all missed opportunities. Now I'm no good for anything except blissing.

    But you say nothing about the creekit? I'm relying on MM to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    Andrew Symonds is an extremely talented player, and a lovely chap as well. The last time we met, he congratulated me on my choice of panama.

    As far as calling people names is concerned during games of cricket, it is all now a part of the game, I'm afraid.

    Here is an amusing animation http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/opinion/animations/0,25199,14,00.html

    Here is a picture of Merv "The Swerv" Hughes, asking after the health of an England batsman http://www.greenwood.wa.edu.au/factory/personal/clinton/merv5.jpg

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  4. MM - that helped. I had forgotten the importance of the right kind of hat. I've heard a susquhanna is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete