Monday, January 28

days

On Friday, Burns' birthday, we met up with Scots friends. Next day the Aussie contingent here were celebrating Australia Day, and right after that came Holocaust Memorial Day.

There's a holocaust memorial near the new German parliament. But not everyone approves. I think the hundreds of concrete blocks are supposed to signify the murdered millions, but my German friends object to its anonymity. It could represent any mass murder anywhere. They would have preferred a memorial that spells out "this thing happened here, it grew out of our culture." And I agree with them. This memorial is like a giant playground. Whereas a visit to the concentration camp near Berlin is appalling, as it should be.


















3 comments:

  1. I say!

    I'm currently reading about Alexander Burnes, a cousin of Rabbie. Came to a sticky end in Kabul in 1841.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very busy few days.

    I have to agree that is a very odd memorial. It rather misses the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mingers. Everyone comes to a sticky end in Afghanistan, except the Wolf of Kabul.

    Nanners, with age it might gain some gravitas I suppose.

    ReplyDelete