Sunday, March 11

dispatchcock

In the last place I lived, some commenters accused me of cruelty when I blogged about shooting small birds with a catapult.




It's not my fault if killing's in my genes. My own old man was a keen bird-watcher, also bird executioner whenever he found an injured one. I can still see him with hammer upraised over a sparrow.

When I told Ion this, she pointed out something I had never thought of: "Your father sounds very humane, but it's as well you left home before getting sick."

Another lucky escape! What a fortunate creature I am!

When I used Google image search to look for a "bird and hammer" photo, it came up with this picture. Don't click the link if you're a meditator trying to achieve freedom from earthly desires.

7 comments:

  1. I say!

    Thank goodness I didn't click on that link.

    Did you leave behind any penguins on The UnHeard Ofs, or did you put them all into the beer brew?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Rob! Thanks for visiting my blog and participating in it as well!

    Thought i'd come and visit you as well, and Im happy I did. I'll be back for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for sport, it might be considered cruel. But done to save an animal from pain, it can be condoned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little birdie. I didn't have the stomach to click the image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adolf! Heil! Have you got a photie of your old man hammering an injured sparrow to death? Is that the clicky bit? We need to know!Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Adolf, please let me know if you're receiving your messages here, one hates to complain but they are rather interrupting the flow.

    MM - I daren't tempt fate by assuming I've thrown off the penguins, but so far there's no sign of home brew tampering. Thanks for your suggestion of throwing them into the hog's head.

    vickiev - come back any time.

    angel - it was done for humane reasons e.g. when a bird flew into the car radiator grille and couldn't be extracted alive. One time the old man actually put the hammer through the radiator too.

    suze - Alex would probably have enjoyed the image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your humour, when I get my blogroll set up, your IT!

    ReplyDelete