Monday, January 7

elections

At last! It's now only a year until the changing of the guard in Washington. Maybe the world can limp along until then without starting any new wars or atrocities.

Obama's success is perhaps encouraging, though I read a more pessimistic interpretation in a newspaper today:
A nation that can vote for Bush in the first place, and then re-elect him with a larger majority after his invasion of Iraq, does not look like a nation yet ready to elect a mixed-race, liberal, Harvard-educated civil rights lawyer, no matter how elegant or articulate.

There was an election here recently, and I had to go to three celebration parties on election night. I've never been to a good party yet. These things are wasted on me. Fortunately the three parties were many miles from each other so I was able to spend most of the evening travelling. I spent an hour at the first place, 20 minutes at the second, and missed the third entirely.

If they had been on three different dates, that would have been three wasted nights instead of just one. How fortunate I was!

4 comments:

  1. It would be great if the USA elected a brown guy or a woman! I hope they will anyway. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert? I've been following the US primaries a bit closer than usual. I really am rooting for Clinton. My side always loses of course. At least, I hope the brown guy doesn't get shot! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? I've just seen that Clinton won in New Hampshire! So what do the pundits know? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotheid! It's not all over till the first lady swings. :P

    ReplyDelete