Wednesday, September 3

barely blogging

It's been hard to blog recently. Many reasons:

The old dear has been a bit unwell, and when I phone her she's either crawling on the floor searching for various pills she's dropped, or sometimes I catch her mid-vomit. She was throwing up for 4 days, and the family were getting quite distressed. Then yesterday she seemed brighter, and I asked if she had managed to keep any food down yet. "Oh yes, I had bacon and chips last night."

I called her doctor in the middle of the night our time. Me: "she must be quite a challenging patient." The doc: "no comment."

The computer has finally died. I killed it myself so I can't complain.

Everything hurts at the moment - the back, the split thumb skin, the gall bladder, the big toe, and that's only the things I can mention in a family blog.

I'm having to work most days of the week, while still being paid for only 2 days. This is the reverse of what it used to be, so I suppose everything's balancing up. And the material has been horrible java. I quote from the lecture notes I have been given to use:

  • System.in is an object of type IputStreamer.

  • An IputStreamer is not a Reader.

  • So we cannot create a BufferReader from System.in.

  • An IputStreamReader is a Reader.

  • And we can create an IputStreamReader from an IputStream.

Jeez! If I go glassy-eyed looking at this stuff, what hope is there for the stoodents I teach?

PS - I have deliberately garbled some of the java above. Wouldn't do to have the stoodents searching the web for help, only for Google to lead them here. No help at all.

8 comments:

  1. Albert? Sorry to hear about your maw, and the sore bits, and your jobbie making you do something. What can I say? Blog on! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hotters? Is that the answer? Keep going! Whatever happened to blissing?

    The OD's much better now. Cast iron stomach - all that seaweed and soap soup in the war is paying off now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ug. sorry to hear things aint so hot there either.

    your previous entry did make me chuckle though so that an upside here at least.

    computer stuff like maths makes my eyes and brain cell glass over in seconds. good luck with that. and the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say!

    Henry, over at the Masongola, recommends Smarty and SimplePie - no idea what he means, though. He's a computer geek, so I'm sure this will help.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relieved OD is a bit better, and you score points for phoning her doc from New Caledonia whether she's aware of that or not.

    Jobbies will always suck the life out of you- nature of the beast. It's therefore your duty to coast for the next 6 months as a result of extra hours this month. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. keda - your name was mentioned more than once last month at the Edinburgh conference. Nice you're still alive.

    MM - that's such a help.

    ion - indeed, though I prefer to call it self-directed in-house leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Albert? Since I've never managed to convince a single person to start meditating ever .... what's the point of going on to the afflicted about ra bliss!!! Of course, the answer is to meditate and meditate and meditate. Solve anything by sitting quietly doing nothing and waiting for it to go away!!! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Albert? Since I've never managed to convince a single person to start meditating ever .... what's the point of going on to the afflicted about ra bliss!!! Of course, the answer is to meditate and meditate and meditate. Solve anything by sitting quietly doing nothing and waiting for it to go away!!! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete