I'm getting a bit concerned about Albert's drinking. Here's what he says in his email:
This week I had to go back to the same pub with Cap'n Kev. If we take Erdinger as a reference point, with a score of 5 out of 5, here's what I drank:
• White Rabbit again, still easily the best brew in the place. Like an Erdinger watered down with fruit juice. Great in the hot weather. 4 out of 5.
• LIttle Creatures Pale Ale. Lovely smell. Gentle. Would be my recommendation if they ever run out of White Rabbit. 3.5 out of 5.
• James Squire Amber Ale. Like an English Real Ale, except chilled and with a froth. Nice, but it's not White Rabbit. 3.5 out of 5.
• Charlotte's Hefeweizen. In a bottle. Expensive. The label is pure adspeak, ambiguously phrased to suggest it's pure wheat but I don't think it is. Disappointing. 4.7%. 3 out of 5.
• Blue Tongue Pilsener. In a bottle. 4.5%. Clean hoppy German style. 2 out of 5.
The lesson I learned was that when you find your favourite, you should just stick with it. Treating life as one big sampling opportunity is just a distraction. It's the same with women: if you're fortunate enough to find a White Rabbit, stick with it. If it's not an Erdinger, so what!
Of course the analogy breaks down here - to get a real fraught Erdinger you'd have to go to Bavaria, and who could live with a Bavarian woman?