Thursday, August 16

japonica?

On the dog walk route through the woods, you come across this plant.

From a distance, it seems a bit twiggy. My partner in bliss says it's called japonica, but she could be wrong. She's an academic, and used to sounding authoritative about everything.




As you get up close you see each flower as an individual beauty.




As my old school chum and recent heid bummer of the Scottish Church might say, life's a bit like that, every one is beautiful if you get up close.

Joking apart, just imagine if humans were like that!


6 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? Did you chop it down then? I've tried eating flowers and they're not as good as they look! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wee beauty. Your partner is quite right- it's Chaenomeles japonica. I know it as 'flowering quince', even though it's not a quince and all quinces flower.

    In this hemisphere it was flowering around April this year in the fields over by the ruined farmhouse, and made a lovely indoor arrangement with its small but exquisite leaves, thorns and understated flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very interesting. The first photo makes the "plant" look a little ugly and boring with all the stems. But the upclose photos show how beautiful each flower is.
    Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true, the closer you get to someone, the easier it is to see their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hotters - unfortunately I left the agent orange at home.

    Ion - you're a wildlife encyclopaedia. I walked past a Japanese furnishings shop tonight, and they had a bucket of stems for sale.

    LA and Angel, I'm very pleased you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say!

    I was going to say that it was not a Euphorbia Splendens, but Ion (who really knows the limit to her knowledge?) has almost certainly identified it already.

    I say Hotboy - watch out for the Trichocereus Peruvianus.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete