Tuesday, August 7

writing stand, guided hand, helping hand

Re the previous post about the mental arithmetic Senile Dementia test, I got the wrong answer too, which doesn't bother me, but I couldn't work out where I (and all commenters except one cheat) went wrong. Now that did annoy me.

Clive James in a TV interview today said that as he gets older he remembers new stuff from his early life, but can't tell you what he did last week. I've noticed that too, that's probably why I keep posting stuff from the past.

Today I'm off work with the dodgy back, standing at the Rumsfeldian standing-desk to post this without pain. Thank you Cap'n Kev for the use of your laptop.




I haven't had a holiday for at least a month, but I've enjoyed reading the holiday posts of various blogfriends, with photos from one blog appearing on another blog. Intertextual or what!

I don't know where this post is going. In the interview, Clive James also said it's no wonder all writers are drinkers - it's all that tension waiting for things to write about. I once went to see a spiritualist healer guy at a Glasgow Church. He said "write". I asked what. He said the main thing was just to start, and your hand will be guided, then you can read the meaning of what you've written. I think he was referring to so-called automatic writing, a sort of Oija Board but with a pencil. I've had some spooky experiences in my haphazard life, but none as far as I know involved channelling someone else.

Some serious writers gain more time to focus on this spiritual stuff, by delegating the routine chores to their own personal hut managers, photographers, dish washers and pitch inspectors. That would help. If I had assistants to attend to all the worldly drudgery for me, I might achieve something. What a fortunate creature I'd be!



I have a garden wildlife photo to post later this week. The problem is, it'll be part of an HNT but I'd also like to show it to ion. The problem is she (understandably) steers clear of HNT posts. Are you there ion? I'll post it early, and you needn't comment or you can be anonymous. It's not rude.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry the pilates isn't working yet. If the wildlife photo is as cute as that fat baby in the sink, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    Dodgy back is it? Stand in an open space, arms out, legs out, in an X position. Jump up and down, and whilst doing so, move arms in and out and legs in and out. Do this thirty times, then have a large G&T. Guaranted to make you feel better.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Can't have you or others of the HNT community thinking I don't enjoy these. Just not a 'good mixer', unlike MMIII's tonic. Bring it on! Incidentally, I failed the dementia test, and still can't work out why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry your back is not doing so well. I hope you get enough rest with it on your day off.
    Take care of yourself.
    ~xo
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. ion - sorry I misunderstood. I wasn't much of a mixer myself, until I was introduced (by Lee Ann, source of much good advice) to virtual nudism.

    The fat baby grew up into a skinny-malinky (?sp) adult - everything balances out.

    The pilates is in fact working, but I find sitting down reverses the benefits. Everything balances out.

    MM - that's great, though my colleagues in the Law Faculty recommend attaching a legal disclaimer next time.

    Can anyone explain why the dementia arithmetic doesn't add up? I may have to ask at the blog I stole it from.

    Lee Ann - I may have to miss our swimming training this week. Does that mean I have to swim 2 miles next week?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Albert! Your back will never get better until you stop killing things! It's creating tension in an alternative universe where you are a nice person who doesn't kill bugs for the hell of it! Hotboy p.s. This is only a theory!

    ReplyDelete