Wednesday, August 29

food of our fathers + HNT

I'm reading a book by Andrew O'Hagan, called Our Fathers. It's about a middle-aged Scots exile who returns to Scotland. It's partly a story of cruel drunken fathers and unforgiving sons. The characters are working-class catholics, and my family were middle-class protestants, but otherwise it's like my former life.

Mostly I'm managing to resist feeling nostalgic, but occasionally it creeps up on me. At the point where it mentions Players Number 6 cigarettes, I suddenly longed to be sucking one of those fags that I gave up twenty-odd years ago, the very cigarettes that got me into the big C club.

And there's a great passage in the book where they eat dinner in a pub:

They ordered food.

Lasagna, an avalanche of white sauce tearing down the glen.

Chips piled high as Stirling Castle.

A loch of baked beans.

Lumps of steak pie; livid red meat, clammy puff pastry.

Potatoes boiled down to silt.

Scampi chunks, breathless on kitchen roll, heaped in a
buff-coloured basket, the breadcrumbs orange.

A puddle of peas.

And a gammon steak that looked sore. It looked red and sore, like one of their faces, a half pineapple-ring set in the middle, a yellow-toothed grin. The plate was a mirror: the man was eating his own Scots face.





I'm a fortunate man - I survived the Scottish diet and the big C, outlived my own father, and escaped to New South Caledonia to go bananas.





HNT_1


If you're desperate, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

14 comments:

  1. Quite a quote, making me think (and this is not so eloquent) "you are what you eat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Rob... you've gone ape-shit... or at least the source of it. Cheers and Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! i couldn't imagine where you might be headed with your HNT pic. when i saw it i burst out laughing! so glad you've survived all the trials.

    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely an original!

    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone bananas!! ROFL!!
    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quite a bunch of bananas. LOL

    Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMFAO!! And now I am hungry!!

    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting, thoughtful HNT - and fun too! HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, are these your lovely banana's? Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How appealing. :) you need any help peeling those, let me know, kay? :)

    HAPPY HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Albert? I've never read that guy. Well, he'll have to join the queue. Does he have proper paragraphs and everything? Should read him though, eh? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH man this reminds me of something....
    HHNT banana man

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for leaving a comment on my post....I couldn't agree with you more!!
    I love your pic by the way!!
    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm....I could swear I left a comment here a few days ago!
    Sounds like quite a feast, the banana collection is something else. That really adds to all of it!
    Hope you have a wonderful week Rob!
    ~xo
    LA

    ReplyDelete