Wednesday, October 3

my favourite thing 1 (HNT)

As a sentimental old fool, I have a few belongings that have served me so well over the years that I would never dream of throwing them away. One of them is a spoon which I have used almost daily for several decades.

I was 19, and went to visit my partner at the time, my first serious love. She was living in a college residence, and I stayed overnight (a great sin in those days, worse than spoon-theft).

In the morning, she went for breakfast, and brought back some cornflakes or something, for me to eat. I kept the spoon, originally as a souvenir, but then I came to treasure it, mainly because of its design, the sensuous shape, and the way it has no harsh edges, so it feels smooth to the touch and has great mouth feel. I'll leave you to speculate on any symbolism.




Whenever I reach in the drawer for a spoon, I ignore the ones from the matching cutlery set, and look for this one. Very occasionally I'm unable to find it, and fear it has been accidentally thrown out. But it always turns up again.




It has no monetary value, but it adds something to my life, as well as reminding me of someone I was close to for several years until I left her for a woman who taught me the spoons position.

I also have a favourite knife, favourite fork, and favourite plate, all with their own stories, but that would be another post.


HNT_1


If you're desperate, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts.

12 comments:

  1. Albert? Interesting what you can get up to with a spoon. Swooning and spooning! Never fails! Hotboy p.s. Having these favourites is a bad sign, eh? Does it go back to your days at the scout camp and that incident? Dearie me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a favorite spoon, but I do have a favorite mug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a favorite spoon, but I do have a favorite mug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can appreciate having a favorite. i have a favorite cup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hamilton Ontario?
    Happy sentimental HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. funny how small things hold such memories for us.

    HAPPY HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great. :)
    And. Uh. Nice hands.
    happyHNT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like others I have a special mug, bought in the Glasgow Barras in c. 1972. My mum would give me hot chocolate in it. It's now so cracked as to have shifted from utilitarian to ornamental, and now sits neglected in the back of the mug cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice way to relive special times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that spoon... I have favorites like that as well. Not a spoon as much as a favorite item My grandmother's class ring.
    Thanks for sharing luv
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does have a sensuous shape...

    I have a favorite fork. It's a silver fork from my grandma, slightly bent. Feels absolutely marvelous to hold it, because it's larger and heavier than the modern ones. I think it could also double as a weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say!

    If that's a snap of you spoon-bending, it doesn't seem to be working very well.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete