Wednesday, October 17

my favourite thing 2 (HNT)

As a sentimental old fool, I have a few belongings that have served me so well over the years that I would never dream of parting with them. One of them is a pair of scissors which I have used for several decades.

I was living in Glasgow, and I knew a woman who was a professional hairdresser. She was shocked to hear that I had been cutting my own hair with kitchen scissors. When she knew she was dying, of cystic fibrosis I think, she gave me her pair of proper hair scissors. What a difference they make!

Since then I always cut my own hair. I use two mirrors so I can see the back of my head. Just think of the money I've saved over the decades! Of course sometimes I look like I've fallen under a lawnmower, but what do you expect for nothing?




BEFORE and AFTER




She said that if I looked after the scissors, never using them on anything except hair, they would last a lifetime (mine, not hers), and so far she's right.

I didn't know her well, but every time I cut my hair I think of her, which is the nearest I get to being spiritual.


HNT_1


If you're desperate, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts.

19 comments:

  1. Albert? Have all you Bavarians got three arms? You must have at least three to take the photie and cut your hair and hold two mirrors. Wait a minute! Four arms? I don't know anybody in Chilly Jockoland who has four arms. Do you think living in New Caledonia has been good for your health? It doesn't seem to have helped. Hotboy p.s. It's a wig, isn't it? It looks like a wig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    Very clever snap.

    Why do you have a picture of a stepladder in your bathroom?

    Mrs M cuts my hair. She's very good at it. Doviko gets his shaved once a month down at the market.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. hotters - when you're as enlightened as I, you grow extra arms like that hindu god thing. Surprised you don't know that.

    MM - the ladder's to hang the mirror on. Lucky you, having a missus that's good with her hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a most impressive skill. and a sweet remembrance of a friend.

    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm cutting my hair too... that's why I never or rarely show my face on the pics I upload...lolololol... I'm not as good as you...
    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yuo are more daring than I!! Still you look handsome. HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks less gray in the after shot, those scissors could be magical!!!

    Course, it could have been the lighting....

    HAPPY HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, the things we remember,
    Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey now, thats a pretty darn good haircut..are you sure you didnt have help? Perhaps the ghost of the scissor lady took the pictures?

    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW, being a textile person, I have quite a scissor thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thats actually a pretty good cut! Cheers and Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a truly beautiful story. :)
    And you have a great haircut to boot.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work! I adore your hair . . . sexy and distinguished looking.

    Do you not even sharpen them?

    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent job! I could never do that. Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn...I could never do that ... good job on the haircut and the photo (wow)

    You're a handsome deity, LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bunny - I guess they're made to cut hair all day without sharpening, so they've easily handled one haircut a month without ever blunting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stealth - you wouldn't have said that if you'd seen the front view.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome, you do a great job! Love the photos too.
    My grandmother had a pair of scissors that she only used on material. She used to say the same thing about those scissors. If you only use them on material, they will last forever.
    Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete