Monday, May 26

bliss overdoses

The bliss partner is working across the water at Singapore. As far as I can gather, her duties there include lounging by the rooftop pool in 35-degree heat. Meanwhile here I've had to don the pantaclava for the first time this winter, but at least I'm free of all social engagements. A whole weekend without deifheids!

On Friday after work I picked up a disc of JSB's St Matthew Passion, and listened to it in bed that night, while normal people were out getting vomiting drunk to start the weekend. The orchestra was using old instruments, the singers were authentic, and the soprano was the darling Emma Kirkby. When I was at school and the music teachers made us listen to the awful classics, I never imagined one day I'd have the hots for a classical warbler, but this lass has just the purest tone, with none of your usual fat lady theatrics and operatics. I'd give her a hand with her vibrato any day, even if she didn't already look as angelic as her voice.

And then there's the wonderful music. Three hours of it. I kept dozing off, then waking to a new tune. Oh the songs! Oh the bliss! Pity the poor deifheids who don't get this.

With his recent advice to take my own parachute with me on the plane, Hotters has reminded me that in more paranoid times I used to wear a rubber wetsuit on the plane to Greece, under my civvies, in case of ditching in freezing waters. And I always had a turkey sized oven bag in my pocket, to put over my head in a smoke-filled cabin. These days I'm normal thanks to the pills, and I rely on a more blissful technique. On takeoff, as we gather speed down the runway, I close my eyes and say goodbye to the world, visualising the plane slamming back into the ground. When that doesn't happen, everything else is a bonus.

Hotters advised flying with Qantas, but I believe they already own Queen Anne Transair, the NSC national carrier, so the engineers are probably the same.

I was heartened to hear that Hotters has given up all drugs for a whole week. A great first step. Just to help him stay on the straight and narrow, I won't send him the bliss pills.

Ion reminded me, quite rightly, about the carbon footprint morality of flying, especially on long-haul flights. Indeed I use this same argument every time the bliss partner suggests a trip to visit her outlaws over in NZ.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, a week round these parts was truncated to four days. Still, fabulous advances on the bliss front today. Hurrah! Hotboy p.s. There was a spanish woman with an Irish name who used to sing on a Carmen tape/movie. Fabulous looking person. A bit of Mozart and that was all the orchesta stuff I ever listened to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll have to take the jsb disc on the plane with you. sounds like it would be a fantastic soundtrack to not really crash too. and if in fact you do slam into the ground you won't care because of all the uplifting angelic musical stuff like.
    innit. :)


    you won't crash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? If you were going to crash, it would be good if you sent the bliss pills on ahead, don't you think? Why waste them when they could be such a help? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. keda - my thought too.

    hotters - good idea, but where am I going to find a teeny parachute for the pills at a time like that? Or perhaps a paper dart made from the inflight mag.

    ReplyDelete