Wednesday, May 21

PPP sponsors conference

In July I'm due at the Duneditin conference in Edinburgh. I booked my flight months ago, with Queen Anne Transair, but of course there's been a hitch. I should know better than to prepare ahead of time, events always overtake me and screw up my plans. The airline's engineers are in dispute with management, and are threatening a series of lightning strikes. Sitting on your suitcase in airport queues for hours or worse, with a 24-hour flight ahead of you, is not worth thinking about. You'd would go through your whole supply of medication before takeoff.




I set about rebooking on another airline, but it's not so easy to get a seat at this late date. At first I cursed the infernal working classes, as you do. But then my natural balance kicked in and I remembered I'm a unionist too, so I decided to read up on the dispute. The engineers have been offered 3%, which is not even in line with inflation, so they have asked for 5%. The company has announced record profits, and the extra 2% for a couple of thousand engineers would add up to less than the boss's recent pay rise. The managers have been quietly recruiting a team of strike-breakers (on a salary nearly twice what the original engineers are on).

So would it be morally preferable to keep my booking with this airline and simply brave the chaos, hoping my irritation at the company would help the strikers? Or should I cancel my booking, thus hitting the airline's bottom line?

I could waste ages on these deliberations. How fortunate I am to have no principles! I've booked on an Asian airline, from a country where the trains run on time. I've had to pay extra, but to hell with the expense, when the conference sponsors are picking up the tab. Here's to the Piddledorf Pension Plan!

7 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? Well done for changing airlines. The capitalist basurns won't like that. Do hope this asian airline isn't one of those who fly into the sea without giving you an aqualung. Why not fly Quantas? I've heard they've never crashed. So they'll be booked up, eh? Ignore the stares and take your own parachute! This would help. Hotboy p.s. Please don't eat all the bliss pills before you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    I'm surprised that Hotters didn't recommend a few hours of hearty meditation whilst sitting on your suitcase.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scab! Carbon footprint! Social conscience!

    Tae hell with that. Looking forward to Duneditin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotters - in more paranoid times I used to wear a wetsuit on the plane to Greece, under my civvies, in case of ditching in freezing waters. And with a turkey sized oven bag in my pocket, to put over my head in a smoke-filled cabin.

    Also, I believe Qantas already owns Queen Anne Transair, the NSC national carrier.

    PS - well done for giving up all drugs for a whole week. Keep this up. Just to help, I won't bring the bliss pills.

    MM - he probably didn't want to risk repeating himself.

    ion - thanks, mine's a weissbier lite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ion - you are of course dead right re carbon footprinting. I use this same argument every time the bliss partner suggests we fly to visit her outlaws in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Albert? Is it you? I've had an intimation that one is required to read something out at this conference! I don't do public readings without lots of bliss pills first. Would the Ballad of Desperate Dan McGrew do? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hotters - are the McGrews like that other family you're related to, the ones who roamed the west coast and ate stolen sheep in caves?

    ReplyDelete