Sunday, May 4

weissbier news

Recently I noted how difficult it is to get a good weissbier here.

I had almost given up hope, but then I was walking past a beer shop round the corner from my work, and they claimed to have 80 different kinds of beer. There was only kind of weissbier - Erdinger. What a fortunate circumstance! I bought a whole bottle, and will be trying the first glass tonight.

The only problem I foresee is that I might get drunk. Happily, I should have no such problems at the Duneditin blogging conference, where the official drink is to be Erdinger Weissbier Alkoholfrei, about which one reviewer said:

Hazy yellow with a huge head. Weak aroma of straw, barley and white bread. The flavours are very sweaty and a bit acid with notes of mandarin, elder, cammomille, straw and wheat. I was quite impressed by it, being a non-alcoholic beer!


In Piddledorf I usually drink Lidl's cheapo weissbier. For your convenience, I have translated part of the review:

I drink must to be sure usually Franziskaner, however also off and at this beer on that believe. Is above all the price gives unbeatable, 1.99€ for six bottles, in addition yet the good taste, where it so what already in bottle form?

Certainly, in the real market, there is yet the sign Oettinger, but this tastes very differently and is me less beneficial. Therefore that of its streams yeast wheat receives is full estimation score, unsurpassably in things price and achievement. Did yet no wheat lie likes to be me better in the stomach than this, who only the manufacturer of this refreshment? ???


At 2 Euro for 6 bottles, the only thing wrong with this beer is that it's quite strong, but that's actually a plus when one is staying in Piddledorf.



Last time I heard, Hotboy was home brewing some wheat beer, but he hasn't said how it turned out, or whether there's any alcohol in it.

4 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? The Piffledorf beer seems wonderful and cheap, but if I remember right the problem with alcohol free beer is that they took the alcohol out, but left the hangovers in. In any case I have now switched to Scottish ales, three for £4, on my way to becoming totally teetotal by the time of the conference. Are you bringing a straightjacket with you? It may be necessary due to over-exuberance from one other of the speakers who has a proclivity for petrol based lagers which drive you mad. I'll be wearing my American football helmet and will thus require straws for sooking up the sasparela. If you have no helmet at hand, bring a gumshield even ifth is maketh you talkth hunny. This would help. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    Watch out for Hotboy's home brew. The last time I drank some, I ended up lost in the allotment.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hotters. As you may recall, Geramn beer is a health drink, besides which weissbier with or without alcohol is hangover-free.

    MM - do you think your disorientation may have had more to do with the evening of blissspeak?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say!

    You are quite correct. Four hours of it, non-stop, as I remember.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete