Monday, June 2

coming off

What bliss not to have a sore back! With a nod to Dean Martin, I pity the poor people who don't get back pain - they know that's as happy as they're ever going to feel.

Yesterday was full-on at work, but thanks to the stimulants (I was off my head on tea) I was running and jumping for joy. During the gaps in classes I went walkabout and worked up quite an appetite, so lunch ($5 Japanese - rice, scrambled tempura vegetables, one giant prawn and miso soup) and dinner ($10 Chinese - Lo Han vegetables and fish, all stir fried with flat rice noodles and green tea) went down a treat. I should have photographed the food.

Of course everything has to balance up, and today I'm whacked. Had breakfast then went back to bed. Just woke up in time for lunch. A waste of a morning perhaps, but still better than work.

The sit-down protest at work is blowing up now, there's four of us refusing to move offices. Management see it as a mutiny, and may in fact have been hoping for it, giving them an excuse to settle old scores. There's an added frisson for me, since I am officially taking only 3 weeks' leave to go to Duneditin, but I'll actually be away for four weeks. I figured they would never miss me for the first week so why not get paid for it? But what if by that time I've been forced into the new office under the bosses' noses? Dearie me! I should know better than to plan anything in advance.

I haven't swum for a coupla weeks, it's been too cold, but the daily dog walks have been at full speed, just as long as I've had my morning cup of rocket fuel. But last week I decided to have a day without tea. Not only was there no joy or spring in my step on the walk, by mid-afternoon I'd had enough of the headache and lethargy, and went back on the tea. Have you ever gone without?

9 comments:

  1. Be the first one to cave in under management pressure. They'll be so grateful that you led the rout that surely a week here or there won't even begin to show their pleasurings with you. I do not have a bad back (yet), but I have always lived a virtuous life. This does help. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hotters, that really helped. Not only are you making sense (and thus contradicting the cannabis brain shrinkage research), it was my plan A too. Plan B was to time my capitulation so that the move would go ahead during the week of my mysterious absence. I could say I worked at home so as to operate at peak efficiency without being distracted by the removal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - you didn't say if you ever tried coming off tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert? Is that you? I drink black tea all day at the jobbie. Yikes! Addicted to tea! Coming off that would be easy peasy. Would I get a prize? That would help. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say!

    Rooibos. Mrs M swears by it.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  6. MM - I tried the Rooibos but couldn't get off on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MM - PS can Mrs M make use of the rest of the packet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fight the good fight! I'm delighted that you're uniting with disgruntled colleagues to call the boss's bluff. Does s/he wish to swap their exec office for your assigned hole-in-the-wall? I thought not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say!

    What you should do is ask to be sent to Coventry, where they have a licence to roam. As reported in the Times Higher Education:

    "The concept is being piloted at Coventry University, where 40 staff have volunteered to give up their offices for three months in return for a single drawer in a communal filing cabinet and a licence to roam."

    MM III

    ReplyDelete