Sunday, June 22

how to go sane

It's 2 weeks since the bliss partner left for her Euro tour, and at last I seem to be getting the hang of this solitary confinement.

But a few days ago I almost had to give up the book I was reading (Waiting Period by the guy who wrote Last Exit To Brooklyn) because it was too close to the bone. It's a monologue by a guy living alone and going off his head. He's summoning up the courage to shoot himself, when he has a better idea - kill people who deserve to be killed, by poisoning them with e. coli.

To avert such thoughts it's sometimes best to cram the day with useful activity. Today I scrubbed the bathroom, fixed the door locks and mowed the lawns front and back and the bit by the pavement. Loaded skype on the toy laptop, for phone calls on the trip. In between I had to meet Capn Kev.

Suddenly winter's properly here. Today was the first four-jumper-and-pantaclava day. What do I care? On Friday I'll be heading for sunny Edinburgh, with a few diversions along the way before the main conference in the last week of July.

The pressure cooker's fizzing away just now. Lamb casserole with umpteen herbs from the garden. The meat has marinated all day in plum vinegar and garlic, so it should be good. Every once in a while I eat a bit of flesh, but avoiding any animal that has been tortured. In primary school the class went on an educational visit to a pig slaughterhouse, so I can't pretend ignorance. As far as I know sheep still get to live outdoors and graze on real grass. And obviously they all get clobbered at the end. And this one has lived all its life in Australia, which is torture of a kind. I believe the only decent grass in Australia is at the MCG.

3 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? I you had a proper job, you wouldn't have time for all that malarkey! What did the lamb ever do to you? Don't worry. When you're deid, the lamb will eat you back. God, that'll take a while. They must have a method of making deid animal eaters like you taste of grass. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert? I thought I'd have to feed yous soup at the conference, but it looks as if Brian Wilson is offering his castle down in Portobello. This would be far better. I'll leave everything to everyone else then and await an invite when appropriate. Hotboy p.s. Can you keep Ion up with what's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it ion's suggestion of a mass descent on the allotment that changed your mind? Youse Edinburghers will never get the hospitality thing, will you? I'm a weegie so it's open door every day here at my place.

    ReplyDelete