Friday, June 13

possum misjudges jump

Last week I went mad with the shears and butchered the overgrown tree outside the bedroom.

Two nights ago I was woken during the night by a very loud bang on the roof, followed immediately by a thud on the ground. At first I thought maybe some high-flying giant bird had had a heart attack in flight and fallen onto the roof. But then I heard a pathetic miserable wailing, and I realised a possum must have misjudged a jump from the tree to the roof, hit the gutter and fallen to the ground. Poor wee thing was suffering. I was too distressed to sleep after that. With a gun I could have gone out and done something.

5 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? Well done in totalling the possum at last. Making the jump in the dark longer was a smart one. For a meat eater, all this bleeding heart stuff with the poor beastie lying there on the cement, this sweet life effectively over for it, doesn't ring quite true. You should have hit it with a big stick and then turned it into sausages for the barbie. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it was your fault this possum bought a Darwin award? I'd blame his visual apparatus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    Did it cook well on the braai?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotters and Ionics. Thank goodness science balances out guilt-based pugilistic fundamentalism.

    Mingers. Good idea, but there wasn't enough meat on it to cook, so it went into the dog's bowl. What local wildlife does Farley enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say Albert!

    Farley enjoys nsima, leftover peelings, and dried fish (tilapia). Served in the morning. No food after 5pm, so that he's alert at night.

    I'm sure he would love grilled possum bones, given the chance.

    We tried him with lemon peel once, but he didn't take to it. Casper also turned his nose up at the prospect. The chickens got them.

    Casper caught a mongoose a while back, but being part lab, he didn't eat it. Rather surprisingly, in my opinion, given that they eat most other things, mongoose is not on the Yao or Chewa diet. So he and Farley shared the remains.

    I'm glad you asked. Many people might not.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete