Tuesday, October 7

rediscovering tai chi

I did the (Yang style short) form tonight. I first learned it from Larry about 20 years ago, and I used to know it off by heart. But it's been years since I did the full routine, and tonight I found a wee gap where I couldn't remember how to get from Single Whip to Fair Lady (aka Four Corners). It's an especial shame because Fair Lady is my favourite move.

So I decided to get the Tai Chi books out and try and relearn the missing bit. At first I didn't recognise what they were telling me to do. Interestingly, I realised that the reason I had forgotten this particular move was because I had never learnt it properly in the first place. I had always just fudged this part of the routine.

Well it took about half an hour of experimentation to be able to do something half-way between what I had mislearned, and what the book was showing. My knees had to work hard but without injury, which is itself progress. Probably all the dog walking has been silently fixing up the old recurring joggers' knee problem.

So I was able to do the whole form from start to finish. Now I'm feeling that particular post-Tai Chi knackered feeling that you don't really get any other way. Hot too. I'll sleep well tonight, even sounder than the bliss-pill sleep.

Apparently the financial world is falling apart, but if you can keep yourself happy for nothing, who cares?

4 comments:

  1. I say!

    What with the financial meltdown, I expect Hotters is glad that the UK government is guaranteeing people's deposits - otherwise there won't be much point in him becoming both rich and famous.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mingers - are Malawian banks safe? I was thinking of making a deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? Is that you? The tai chi I do is a mutant form, but it has 108 moves so you need a jobbie to have the space to do it unless you want to have to join up wee bits in your kitchen or do it in the buggering cold outside. I should learn a short form! Hotboy p.s. You can really feel the difference when you meditate again after doing a set! Which I will do right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do it outside you soon get warm, at least here in the UnHeard Ofs, or wherever it is I live now.

    ReplyDelete