Sunday, October 19

i have a dream

Last night I had a dream involving hotboy. Fortunately I had booked a session with Doctor Robert this morning, so I was able to tell him about it.

The transcript below explains everything. It's probably only interesting if you're me, but it's all true.






Doctor Robert: Just relax, and tell me what you have to report today.

Patient: Well, I had a dream.

Doctor Robert: Okay, just tell me what you can remember.

Patient: Well, I remember I was living on one side of a forest, and I could see over on the other side ...

Doctor Robert: Symbolically, the other side of the world?

Patient: Yes. There was a large tree, and hotboy was scampering around in the upper branches of it, like a monkey, or judging from the bend of the branches, more like an orang-utan. He was being encouraged by a mate of his.

Doctor Robert: Who was his friend?

Patient: I don't know, maybe his sensei. Anyway, as hotters climbed higher into the tree, the branch was bending ever lower towards the ground, and nearer and nearer to the garden I was standing in.

Doctor Robert: Symbollically, you want hotboy to visit you.

Patient: Yes, it all makes sense! Yesterday I had bottled another bucket of home brew, so in my dream I created someone to drink it all!

Doctor Robert: Just leave the psychoanalysis to me. Tell me more about the dream.

Patient: I suppose so. And in the dream I was thinking - I would never perform gymnastics high in a tree that, it's too dangerous.

Doctor Robert: What do the aerial gymnastics represent? In real life, does this hotboy fellow ever do anything that's risky?

Patient: Apart from the drugs, the feats of drinking, the cigarettes, the boxing, and the running around outdoors in an Edinburgh winter? Nothing at all.

Doctor Robert: Do go on.

Patient: Well, as hotters continued to run and jump around on the branch, I was thinking - I hope it doesn't break or he'll injure himself falling into my garden.

Doctor Robert: In other words, you imagined a more down to earth hotboy.

Patient: Yes, I suppose if he ever applied his abilities to something practical or a career, he would be a great success and then I would be the only under-achiever I know.

Doctor Robert: So what happened next?

Patient: He sank so low he was able to step off into my garden, and I showed him around.

Doctor Robert: What happened next?

Patient: Next thing I knew, he was back on the other side of the forest, with one of his mates.

Doctor Robert: What was the friend doing?

Patient: He was obsessively tinkering with a car engine, a sports car, to make it go even faster.

Doctor Robert: Does hotboy know anyone who's obsessed with speed?

Patient: Yes! I see now, it must have been Poisonous!

Doctor Robert: Maybe, or does he know anyone else, someone with an obsessive hobby?

Patient: Well there's Menzies, he's an obsessive pitch inspector.

Doctor Robert: There you are then.

Patient: Yes. Inspecting the car engine represents inspecting a cricket pitch. Anyway, I saw hotboy leaving the forest and walking in the direction of Nicholson Street, so I ran to try and catch him before he went home. By the time I reached Nicholson Street, he was already on his bike and cycling away. I shouted, and he turned around. I suggested we go for a beer, and I offered that we could either go to a nearby pub full of deifheids and flatheids, or drink some of my home brew back at Buccleuch Towers. He chose the pub.

Doctor Robert: Why did he prefer the pub?

Patient: I haven't a clue.

Doctor Robert: Time's up. I hope this has helped.

Patient: Thanks. This virtual analysis really works. Every day I'm getting a little more normal.



If you think you too could benefit from spending some time with Doctor Robert, he's taking bookings now in the comments section.

9 comments:

  1. I say!

    Hoew can one see from one side of a forest to the other - don't the trees get in the way?

    I have a very similar dream, except that it takes place in a dugout in the Elephant Marsh, down in the Lower Shire. And it doesn't feature Hotboy, but instead Brain Close, who is batting in the water. He's facing up to Michael Holding, who runs up from the back of a dugout to the front of the dugout and lets rip a short-pitched ball.

    The ball skims across the surface of the lake, and rears up late to almost take Brian Close's head off.

    At the end of the over, Brian Close levitates above the lake for a few moments, and then zooms off to Mars, where he opens the batting for a veteran England XI alongside Sir Geoffrey Boycott, and scores a century.

    Apart from some obvious location differences, it sounds very similar to your dream. Perhaps you could pass it by Dr Robert, to see what he says?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. mingers - god idea, I'll ask him next time there's a lull in the conversation. What kind of beer were they on after the match?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? Is that you? I've got a disease from drinking too much yesterday. It's stopping me thinking. So I'll go and have breakfast instead. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say!

    Almost certainly it was Muntons.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  5. Albert? Is it still you? Please send the tickets for the flight to New Caledonia. I will require a slab of Victoria bitter every fourth day and lots of bush for the evening cavortings round the barbie. All day I'll sit under your tree and refuse to speak to anyone. How else can I get a session with Dr Bob? Hotboy p.s. I had a dream about Tony Blair, but you don't really want to know about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hotters - When I lived in Australia, I found a book in a second hand shop called something like "interpreting dreams of Queen Elizabeth". A whole book on the subject! As you're in the trade, you might be able to find one about Tony Blair dreams. But I'll mention your dream to the doc, but I'm sure it's nothing to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Bob? Where are you? So I was going back to sleep when Tony Blair comes into my room, and gets into my bed still in his shirt, tie and suit. We both went to sleep. Then I felt this gun barrel coming across my waist, from the back, and it was pointing at Tony Blair. I got hold of the barrel and pushed Tony out of the bed with both feet, causing him to tumble onto the floor. Great strain and effort required. Then I chased after the wraith. I ran into the flat downstairs where I knew the wraiths were and had once came out of the wall in this cupboard. So I pulled the door open and screamed to the wraith basturn to come out and fight, but there was no wraith there. I ran into the street, which turned out to be Morningside Road, and ran down and about looking for the basturn. (This is not me since I am a total feartie!) Anyway, it was a beautiful sunny day, and I had fairer, longer hair, and was much younger. On the way back to the flat, I felt wonderful and thought Tony might give me a jobbie sitting quietly doing nothing, just being there. Hmmm? So what's the matter with me, Doctor Bob? I need some help and some plane tickets and folk with pots of money to spend on me. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hotters, I emailed Dr Bob to get his ideas, and I just got the reply. It seems Tony Blair could be a side of you that doesn't get expressed. Or a brother that you miss (hence sleeping in the same bed).

    The gun barrel is so obvious that Dr Bob accused me of inventing it, apparently he only rarely gets such an easy symbol to analyse.

    Rescuing Tony is perhaps you giving of yourself to others, more than you get a chance to in every day life. It's like when I used to dream of rescuing a young mother and bairn from a rabid dog, by chopping tyhrough its spine with an axe.

    Dr Bob's not sure about the wraith. He suggests you yourself know what the wraith is about. My guess is the grim reaper but what do I know.

    Opening ther door to the wraith cupboard sounds scary. Was it one of these things you have to steel yourself to do?

    Could Morningside Road be the evil bourgeoisie, where your nemesis is to be found?

    By the way, if it was a beautiful sunny day, it wasn't New Caledonia, where we've suddenly had winter again today.

    The doctor says that after it was all over, and you felt wonderful (did you check your pants when you woke up? - that's my idea, not Dr Bob's) Tony giving you a jobbie is you rewarding yourself for your actions. Sounds psychologically very healthy. Let me know what you think.

    Why can't I have a dream like that? Mine are always humdrum, about rearranging furniture or finding a place to sleep in a new shared house. What's that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Albert? Is that you? If you meditated, you wouldn't have dreams about trying to find somewhere to sleep. I thought my dream might be about coming to terms with New Labour, the inevitability of gradualness, etc. But I wasn't scared of chasing the wraith at all, funnily enough, when I should have been. Hope this helps. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete