Wednesday, June 13

a pound a day HNT

My mother was an early feminist. She hated housework and parenting, and when I was about 12, she found herself a job, which involved working shifts. From then on, she was rarely home, so she made each family member responsible for feeding themselves all day.

Every morning, she gave me, my brother and my father a pound each to spend on food. That was enough money to pay for lunch at school, and to buy ingredients for a home-cooked meal at night.

In the evening, while my mother worked late in the city, our kitchen would get pretty crowded as the three males in the family cooked three different meals.

Some nights, my father would forget to go to the shops to buy his steak and potatoes or whatever, and I would sell him half of what I had cooked, at a profit of course. The money I made went towards my next packet of cigarettes. Thanks to my mother, I learned cooking and capitalism.

Other nights, my father would stop at the pub on the way home, drink his entire pound away, then come home and confiscate half of my meal for himself. Without paying! The drunken basturn.

Occasionally, after school I would blow all my food money - like father, like son - on coke and cigarettes at the cafe near the school. On those nights, dinner at home consisted of several bowls of cornflakes and a cigarette. I never stooped as low as confiscating the dog's meaty chunks in gravy, but I thought about it.

A few years later, my mother was the only one with a job, and the rest of the family had progressed to a mostly liquid diet, playing Scrabble on the dole.




After a few beers, these Scrabble games would usually break up in acrimony, because my old man invented his own rules. For example, if he had used a word, nobody else was allowed to play the same word. I suppose he thought: the family that eats together, cheats together.


HNT_1

21 comments:

  1. Full of content, with much to respond to. Like yer mum I'm sometimes working when my 14 and 10 yr olds are under my care. We have a long glass ashtray in which I deposit coins for incidental expenses like light bulbs, lunch money, incidental groceries, batteries or mobile top-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert! How reassuring! Maybe the therapy's working. What happened to the brutal toilet training and the nazi regalia? It's almost home sweet home this. What did those nice people ever do to deserve you? Dearie me. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo... and the story... so, so, so British!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dickensian in more ways than one. Brilliant!

    Cheers and Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting family. There is a TV sitcom in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, well at least you got to wear cool hats while you played! :)

    HAPPY HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pic. That's the tiniest Scrabble board I've seen! HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've played games of scrabble around liquid dinners....some unusual words can come of that. fortunately the folks i played with were good natured.

    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting story and cool photo

    happy hnt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting story!

    HappyHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a BRILLIANT idea.

    right, i'm trying that. i hate cooking. and it'd save money too.

    nice one babe.
    a very happy hnt to us all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great story. I think if I gave my kids money to keep themselves it would be soda and candybars all day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful story! And what an upbringing that certainly shaped your own life and future in a unique way. The photo's just as terrific as all of yours... so human, intimate, and revealing.

    xoxo
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story and great memories, even if your old man pulled rank from time to time. Happy HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Albert! I'm trying to work out the rate of exchange. Like, she's giving each of yous thirty pounds day for food. No wonder you became a drug fiend and sex addict on that kind of income! I'll sit in the hut and pray for your for twenty pounds a day! Hotboy. p.s. THis is a really wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That story would make the beginnings of a great book....Happy HNT

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL What a family~ dont feel bad, mines way weirder! HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I say!

    What did your servants spend their time doing?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  19. superb
    not Dickensian
    Pseudo-Cutlerian more like
    praise indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a strange father you had. Didn't he have a work? If not, why couldn't he make food for all of you? To give your father 1 pound for food?!?!
    In my child-hood home, it was also my mother working and my father stayed at home. But he did then all the housework, making food and lunch-boxes to us kids and so on ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did your mom realize you were buying cigarettes with the money she gave you?
    haha
    You little rebel!
    Love the photo!
    Happy late HNT!

    ReplyDelete