Sunday, June 3

hot cuisine machine

I've always wondered what a slow-cooker would be like to use, and now I've got one for my birthday. But I think it's going to be one of those things you play with a few times before it goes in a cupboard.

It came with a 1-page set of instructions, and no recipe book! Have you any experience with these machines?




I thought slow-cookers were meant to save electricity, but this thing gives off masses of heat. Being Scottish, I'll use it to cook porridge overnight in the bedroom and heat the whole room. And then I could have breakfast in bed without getting up.

Anyway, I eventually found some slow-cooker recipes by googling, but they were real trash cuisine. E.g., "ingredients - one whole chicken, one can of condensed mushroom soup".

So I made up a recipe, using chunks of lamb, loads of fresh vegetables, herbs, and a bottle of home brewed stout. Cook slowly for about 5 hours. The meat melts in your mouth. Bliss! If all meat tasted this good, I would give up vegetarianism for good.

For more recipes, write to:
Hot Cuisine,
Île Plate,
Nouvelle-Calédonie du Sud.

4 comments:

  1. Albert? Why are they all called Albert? You ate a lamb? One of those cute little things with the stereoscopic eyes and the nice faces, just like the human beings? Did you kill it yourself or get someone else to do it for you? It was probably terrified getting dragged away from its mammy. You'd be better off killing and eating flatheids, and laying off the other dumb mammals! There's no help for you at all!Hotboy p.s. You could make vegetable soup in that! Looks good for the hut to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    I emailed Doviko, and although he is not familiar with the contraption in your snap, he says that he often uses the technique. Essentially, its the same as pot roasting. Brown the meat, place it on a bed of root vegetables, add some stock, and cook slowly for as long as it takes.

    Rather good cooking quail by this method.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. Restaurants are my favourite mode of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert? Why are you all called Albert? If you had a proper job, I might not have to ask this question! Your aunties in Bavaria are far too hot for an old joe like moi. I try to be normal, but they're now into all that fancy stuff! And I've lost that hydraulic gadget. I think I need some help. Have you got one? Or two? That would be good. Hotboy.

    ReplyDelete