Wednesday, June 20

turnip head with podcast HNT

While growing up I didn't often see the humorous side of my father, mainly because of the hostilities between us. But towards the end of his life we called a ceasefire, and I visited him at his wee island cottage.

In the evenings he went out to the pub, while I would stay at his place until he returned after closing time. On Halloween, he disappeared to the pub as usual. Late that night, I was sitting watching TV when the electricity suddenly went off, everything went dark, the door opened slowly, and a turnip lantern appeared in the doorway, going "woooo" and swaying unsteadily in mid-air.

In some countries I believe it would have been a hollowed-out pumpkin, but in Scotland the tradition is to use a turnip instead. Cheaper too. You put a candle inside, and the light shines out through the eyes and mouth.

I enjoyed my father's little joke, and next day I insisted we take a photo. You can used to be able to click on the pic to zoom out and see the family resemblance.





Anyway, recently I attended a course in on-line teaching methods, and one thing we had to do was set up a podcast. I used an ancient tape recording of my old man, telling a wee 2-minute story from his life.

I admire the way he was able to get organised enough to speak it onto a tape, but for various reasons including emotional baggage, I have never actually listened to it all the way through. I can't be objective about it, but maybe you can.



Click here to get your own player.





HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

18 comments:

  1. Albert! Had you been in the old country or anywhere where everyone is armed, you could have finished the old bugger right there and then! And the turnip. As it is, on the steam radio here I can only hear two words at a time. But what a nice man! He must have done something horrible to deserve you, but what a nice man? Where did he go wrong? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love a spooky Hallowe'en story.

    I'm not objective, but yer dad has a redolent, flowing, west-coast, sing-song baritone voice and a presence. Lovely enunciation and emphasis. What did he do for a living?

    I'd guess from from his turn of phrase in this reading that in extemporaneous speech he might well be quite expressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ion - he drank whisky for a living, as a tour guide at a distillery.

    HB - probably the war. But as an evil bourgeois, how could he be nice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very nice!! I love the voice and the story!! But turnip?? This should be the hardest veggie to empty!!!But the effect is interesting... probably worted the hard work once enlighted!
    HHNT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm interesting turnip lol

    happy hnt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great turnip! I think your Dad tells a great story. Must've been a colorful fellow. Sorry you don't have a good relationship. Whiskey will do that. HHNT from the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool Post!!!!!!!!
    Happy Halloween HNT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, i remember the turnip pic from the first time you posted it. it's a fun one!

    as for your dad's story he does have a wonderful voice and tells the story well. thanks for sharing it with us even though perhaps there is some pain associated for you to hear his voice. i bid you peace.

    HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great Halloween story. I'm happy for you both that you made peace before he died.

    I enjoyed the story and could just imagine to looks on peoples faces when the baby was being Christened with spirits. LOL

    Happy HNT from a 1/4 Scottish American!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the yarn, Rob. Really charming. And that turnip... egads... not in a dark alleyway. (Though a lot of people say the same about me.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm, well you do have the same coloring....LOL
    great story! Happy HNT

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness. I never realized just how hot you are before.
    *pant
    *pant

    I love the turnip lantern.
    I'll make myself one for hurricane season.

    mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say!

    Is it Hallowe'en already? I must have dozed off for the entire dry season.

    I say! A rather unclad audience you seem to attract, nowadays.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want a turnip lantern!! HHNT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to everyone who ran the podcast. Maybe I'll give it a listen myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the cutest!
    Happy Late HNT!

    ReplyDelete