Tuesday, July 17

disaster recovery

Dear Jack the spambot, I apologise I haven't been blogging much, due to the dodgy back. It started 3 weeks ago, just in time for the college vacation. Even though my wee chiropractor woman is dead now, I was able to apply some of the things she taught me. The self-imposed therapy (three long walks a day, at Chaplin speed) is paying off at last, just in time for my return to work. I was able to teach the first Disaster Recovery Planning lesson to a new group of students yesterday, almost without pain.

I made a bit of a fool of myself, telling the new class about my cooking injury, but otherwise the day went well and I learned most of the students' first names, quite a feat when you think that no two of them are the same nationality. The accident had happened at home last Friday, when I was cooking Moussaka, a kind of Greek lasagna. Taking it out of the oven, I dropped the dish on the floor, and somehow a jet of scalding bechamel sauce shot up inside my trouser-leg. In the absence of a Disaster Recovery Plan to cover this contingency, I improvised emergency measures for scraping the stuff out of my trousers, while shooing the dog away from the remaining moussaka on the floor.

The food that could be rescued was delicious, and the scalded leg helped mask the back pain for several hours. How fortunate I am!

8 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? For ten percent off the top, I could solve all your problems. Of course, you won't listen to me. Hotboy p.s. But if you did ... you'd spend all your money on prostitutes and scottish people regret that, so they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting thought, one I have had myself. That'll be why Onan the Bavarian is who he is, on his father's side anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why Thailand is chockers with German tourists, not Scots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather, known only through a few photies and family stories, was a chiropractor. With his cohort Sister Mary Rose (ex-nun) he'd wave hands over the afflicted dorsum. He could've fixed you up! Keep up the exercise, and consider pilates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Albert? Sorry to hear about the wee chiropractor woman passing on. Here's a prayer for you. I got it from my maw. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for me and my wee dog! I hope this helps. Was it your fault? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  6. ion - indeed! It was pilates that was keeping me pan-free for the last year or so. Great stuff.

    HB - why wouldn't it be my fault, with my upbringing? If I do the prayer, do I turn green or what? Thank your old dear. I'm dedicating my next power dogwalk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you cook among all other things. Sorry it fell to pieces and shot up your trousers.
    I hope your burn is ok.
    Your back too? Oh, sounds like you need a good massage.
    Hope you are feeling all chipper again real soon.
    I miss you Rob.
    Have a great weekend.
    ~xo
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say!

    Sorry to hear about your dodgy back. Are you making sure that you evacuate in the best position?

    Wicketkeepers rarely suffer bad backs. That's because they spend so much time behind the stumps, crouching in an excellent position.

    Next time you evacuate, just think yourself as though behind the stumps, about to take one going down the leg-side.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete