Thursday, November 6

the big day (getting it) out

The comments in the last couple of posts were great to read, even though I didn't reply.

Yesterday, after a big breakfast I borrowed the bliss partner's car to drive to the hospital. The nurse asked me who was coming to pick me up, and when I said "nobody" she said "that's unusual". I didn't get where I am today without being unusual.

I found out that the insurance is picking up most of the tab, and I was only out of pocket $250! Where else could you lie around in a dress and no undies, among nubiles in nurse uniforms, without having to have sex?

They give you a room for the day and put you to bed. I had the whole day off work, and all these good people around me were looking after everything. There was nothing I had to do except do nothing. Indeed there was nothing I could do. Instead of switching on the TV, I spent the time more usefully. I lay on my back, and did the autogenic breathing exercises that worked so well the other day. After a handful of breaths I drifted into a wonderful warm half-sleep.

At times of stress the reptilian senses, like hearing, take over, and my awareness focussed on the melodious chirping mid-morning chat of the female staff in the distance. It was a very special feeling, primal even. When I was fully conscious again, I felt ready for an adventure.

In pre-op, when she found out I had opted for a local, the anaesthetic nurse asked if I wanted any sedatives, and I said "what have you got?" Thinking I was joking, she said "I suppose you'd like a whisky?" I said no, I really wanted to know what sedatives were on offer. The first one she mentioned, some kind of -azepam, sounded good so I said "I'll have that one." As she was getting the needle ready, I said "I'll still be able to drive home, eh?" I shouldn't have said that. They said I wouldn't be able to drive for 24 hours, so I told them to forget it, I'd do it straight.

In the theatre, they put me on the operating table, then they all went out and left me alone. I was able to get a good look around the room, more ramshackle than in the films. If I'd been sedated, I wouldn't have been able to lift my head off the table. Back when I was half my age and I had the original black spot op, I was well sedated on the table and when the anaesthetist said he was about to put in the curare, I was so cheery I shouted hooray for the curare.

Anyway, during the operation yesterday, with a wee sort of green tent over my head I couldn't see anything, but I could hear everything including the beeper connected to my pulse, quite slow and steady. I was able to chat to the main nurse, who turned out to be a big fan of Oor Wullie and The Broons. And from time to time I asked the surgeon what he was doing. He's built like a rugby forward, with massive doughy fingers. When he started in with the diathermy, a sort of soldering iron scalpel, he kept hitting a nerve and making my arm lash out at him. Bizarre.

His voice from above the tent explained that he was cutting out the lump but that it was joined to a nerve. I freaked a bit at this point. The type of black spot that I originally had is known to have a propensity, almost a desire, to spread along nerves, so this wasn't good news. My own nerves were suddenly shot, and the racing beep of the heart monitor announced to everyone in the room that I was spooked. It was a bit tough then.

The bonhomie in the room seemed to evaporate, and the stitching and bandaging proceeded in silence. Or that's how I remember it. The surgeon told me to come and see him next Thursday, to get the pathology results.

Back in my room, the room nurse told me how confronting it must have been to have no general and no sedation. She said she's too wimpy to even go in the theatre, that's why she works outside in the rooms.

The promised lunch never arrived, so I had to get up and find someone to complain to. If they're going to sell themselves as something special, they'd better expect consumer complaints. (Of course I realise that one should be just as pushy with public medicine and then things might improve). The replacement lunch came. I put the steak in my bag for the dog, and got dressed.

Back at home, to take my mind off my impending demise, I got out the old neck CT scan from 10 years ago, and found two image slices through the same area where I'd just had the lump removed. And there it was, I'm sure - the same size and shape of lump, ten years ago. Now that's a good sign. Everything's balancing up again - I've got one bad sign and one good. 50-50's good enough for me right now, though I may start to feel different as next Thursday the 13th approaches. I may have to meditate again.

After the day's excitement I slept great last night, and today at work I was on fire. The bliss partner has a full weekend planned, but I only have to attend one of the events, so it's looking good for some serious doing nothing, maybe even some more amateur blissage. How fortunate one is really.

8 comments:

  1. Albert? Are you still there then? You had to pay $250! I would have to die instead. If you're having a demise ... what about the aunties and the big inheritance? What about the nazi gold, Albert? Please send whatever bliss pills are to remain afterwards to moi. Couldn't you have got the temazapan and kept it for later? It all sounds very unsatisfactory to me. Did they give you the pluke to take home and feed to the doggie? I bet they didn't. Be saving it for the black magic no doubt! Still, hope it heals over soon! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the dug enjoyed her $250 steak! I enjoyed that Teutonic/Scots thrift insisted you receive the lunch for which you weren't hungry.

    Don't ruminate on the nerve thing- the neck consists of little else than these (spinal cord, brachial plexus) and accessory tubes for blood supply, eating, breathing and vocalisation. If the butcher didn't contact nerves in the neck, you'd be an alien species.

    It'll be a long week till next Thurs' path results, but luckily you're sufficiently nutzoid to be back to work the next day after an invasive procedure. That'll help, surely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hotters - 250 is only the price of a week's worth of weissbier, and which would you rather have? Please don't remind me about the gold, all blown by a bored widow. If the sedatives had been pills, rest assured I would have spat them out on the sly and sent them to you. Meantime, just confess to your doc that you're depressed, it might help to appear ashamed to admit it, and you'll get a lifetime supply of bliss pills. You could give up meditation.

    ion - Good points about the anatomy. And it never occurred to me that some people would stay off work afterwards. Too late now. If only I'd been in pain from an impacted fanny, that would have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert? Are you still here? I don't really follow this lump stuff though it seems that Ion does. Haven't you already had the black spot? What a worry! Anyway, if you've had the black spot at least once that I know of, then you must have went through the accompanying Oh No!, Oh No!, at least once before. It can't be as bad as the first time round, surely. Or is it? I think the best way to cure yourself is to give all your money away and take up residence in the nearest graveyard. Send me all your money and I'll recommend a good tent. Hope this helps. Hotboy p.s. When I was in Oz I got legless five times a week for £14! pps. I've got a half packet left of magic granules from my Medicine Buddha initiation. You could make me an offer. At a granule a day, it would keep you ticking over till you're ninety. Dearie me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say Old Bean!

    I had no idea about the traumas you've been going through. Been down here near Nsanje for a few days to sort out an issue with the previous owner of the Elephant Marsh Bar, and, as you can see from the map, there's no wireless connections thereabouts.

    Well, what a trouper you are. How fascinating that when you were dying on the operating table you had a conversation about Oor Wullie and The Broons.

    Did you get a discount because the lunch failed to arrive? What had you ordered for your last meal, and did you have you camera there to record it (had it arrived)?

    I feel we need to know such detail to help put the whole thing into perspective.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  6. hotters 2 - I had the same thought about it being easier the second time, and in a way it probably is. I sense another post coming on.

    mingers, sorry to hear of the trouble with the Nsanje people. Have you got cabbage along as intermediary? That would help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Robin Hood, that's exciting news about living and diing. I guess you're still living. So am I. I could spend my whole life in front of screen if I'm not careful commenting on everyone elses life. Today I didn't go to Carbeth. Today I didn't go downtown. Today I did my taichi at the allotment and wrote a proposal to develop a Scottish Centre for Arts and Ecology. Lawrence of Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Larry. Yes we're all in tip top condition here. Hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete