Saturday, November 22

ger·on·tol·o·gy

Only a week since my reprieve from the black spot, and already it seems like months ago. All the lessons forgotten. But I have followed through on the resolution to volunteer to become a person who drives sick people to hospital. Partly inspired by ion, partly as penance. I suppose it's also selfish, since I enjoy the experienc of visiting hospitals when I'm not sick. They'll probably have to vet me in case I'm a pervert or a basher of old ladies.

The month of working full-time, combined with reduced dog-walking and undernourishment, helped me to injure my hip joint this week, as I jumped back on the pavement to avoid a car. I shouldn't be dashing through traffic at my age anyway, there must be other ways to get your kicks. Funny how you don't appreciate your body when there's nothing wrong with it. I'm hoping this is a temporary setback, rather than the start of one of these age-related conditions where you end up getting a new hip joint.





This week JQM sent me some statements by old people:





Reporters interviewing a 104-year-old woman:
'And what do you think is the best thing
About being 104?' the reporter asked.
She simply replied, 'No peer pressure.'





I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement,
New knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes
I'm half blind,
Can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine,
Take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts.
Have bouts with dementia .
Have poor circulation.
Hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.
Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92.
Have lost all my friends. But, thank God,
I still have my driver's license.






It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.





THE SENILITY PRAYER :

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,

The good fortune to run into the ones I do,

And the eyesight to tell the difference.






7 comments:

  1. Albert? Is that you? It's a bad sign when you want to start hanging about with geriatrics. I've been there for ages of course! Let us know if you find any of them who get ra bliss! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    I imagine the standards of driving are poor in Île Plate. I must tell you what happened to me the other day - will do so on my blog.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    I find it hard to believe. Paul Mandambi, and yes, I will name you online Paul, has just knocked at my door here in 39 Kalimbuka to complain about the noise.

    What noise, Paul, I asked.

    That noise, he replied.

    That noise, Paul, is the noise escapig from my headphones. Nothing more, nothing less. You can't possibly be saying that that noise, from my headphones, is disturbing yourself next door, at least fifty yards away, down the road?

    What?

    What did you say Paul?

    Can you turn it down a bit?

    What?

    ReplyDelete
  4. phew.

    what a relief. have finally showed my face and spent a gruelling few minutes reading up on the last month.

    thank goodness underpants are backwards and i got to read this one first before going back to the start.

    i am very glad all is well, well, except for the hip. and i do hope that improves.
    mine is wonky ever since i became a holy cow whilst transporting the unborn lets. they'll have to cough up for my hip replacement. hopefully.

    in an earlier post you mentioned your dentist getting cross at your refusal to wear your mouth guard thingy...
    i had one of those, but woke up every morning for two weeks to find it hurled across the room in my sleep. when it finally broke a mirror i gave up on it. and mirrors in the bedroom. now i rely on feng shui to cure the grinding.

    virtual kisses to you babe. and happy thoughts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. keda - hi gorgeous, so nice to hear from ya.

    Sorry about the reverse panic at my place. I got hijacked by the medical juggernaut for a while.

    Aren't those mouthguards the pits? And they're not cheap. I have substituted a simple footballers' mouthguard, which has the advantage of being soft, comfortable, chewy, and it's black so will come in handy at Halloween.

    ReplyDelete