Saturday, April 3

albert's diary

Albert has sent an extract from his personal log, in case it might help me understand my own situation. I've had to edit out the toilet material, but otherwise it's verbatim.


" For personal understanding purposes.

2 months out, I began successful Pilates morning exercise regime for the back.

1 month before, virus with long recovery.

Work backed up, with deadlines.

Cellmate adding stress.

Old dear condition worrying everyone -> family static over phone.

1week out, hot water boiler blows up, I research and arrange replacement solar system.

For weeks, nightly sleep is 4-5 hours. Eating a lot.

Plane to Prisonage with Cellmate is good despite the usual distancing.

At Prisonage airport I let go of my long-established plan to rent a rest area in the day hotel in terminal 3. Even though you normally have to book, at 5 pm there were two available. But trying to coordinate/compromise w Cellmate meant we missed the chance.

Before her flight to the Old Dart and mine to Bavaria, Cellmate was off the emotional air and I was doing ambivalent soothing gestures.

So no sleep before the second, 12 hour leg. Very old 747, poor seats and I was too tired to work out what I'd need to do to make it screaming-neck-pain-compatible (I only adjusted for back and that at least was successful).

Neck went critical because I had a brief sleep lolling back on low headrest.

Took pills: panadeine, panadol, disprin all x1. Also T4, bliss pills, and one of homoeopathic (!) melatonin.

Half an hour later in darkened cabin, suddenly felt highly nauseous. Ran to bog. Threw up. If I could have spent the whole flight there, I would've, but I couldn't face the inevitable door banging by passengers and eventually by crew.

Over next 9 hours of flight, nausea slowly lessened but could't face food. The only way to stave off the screaming neck was to sit bolt upright and fight the sleep waves.

Lessons I learned?
- Reclining seat always makes it worse.
- Should have gone for what I want re the nap room.
- At least the pilates back protection work paid off"


It's not always clear what Albert's on about, but I admire his perseverance in the face of record stress levels, even by his own standards. The Prussian officer-class genes must be helping.

3 comments:

  1. I say!

    Poor Albert. I would never dream of travelling steerage.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert? Fantastic grit in the face of all these problems! I'm glad it wasn't me. The screaming neck particularly. You did not mention any bliss at all. I think you are very brave to go around with your head up your bum like that, and not care. Bravo! Hotboy p.s. I hope they give you all their money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mingers. Exactly. But I believe Albert's claiming business class expenses from the pension fund, so it all balances up.

    Hotters. He's a trooper, as you say, and after a few German breakfasts he'll be farting like one.

    ReplyDelete