Tuesday, February 3

ethical dilemma on day one

The first day of full-time work yesterday was disappointing. No, it was depressing.

When my guard was down I wandered into a meeting and then allowed myself to be drawn into a discussion. People were suggesting changing the beginners' course by giving it some of the horrible java classes that are normally taught only in the intermediate course.

When I objected that this was cruel and unusual punishment, the rationale offered was that the students who were destined to fail the intermediate course should instead be failed six months earlier. Call me old fashioned, but I still regard my work as helping our paying customers to learn something, not pissing them off as quickly as possible.

At this point, the meeting seemed to disintegrate, and everyone else mysteriously drifted off to do photocopying or whatever. I was sitting there alone for a while before I realised they weren't coming back.

So I left too, and got on with something useful myself. Walking by the room later on, I noticed that the meeting had mysteriously reconvened itself in my absence.

I'm in an ethical dilemma now. I could speak out against their unfair plan. For one thing this idea, of spreading the delights of java, completely ignores the fact that the official curriculum of the beginners' course contains no programming at all, let alone the more advanced programming they want to use to get rid of students.

But can I be bothered making all that effort? Writing memos, having more meetings, alienating colleagues, and straying into other people's insanity when I've got plenty of my own.

Another option is to step around the madness and go over people's heads. Which incidentally is what they did when they wanted to shaft an (admittedly useless) staff member. It would be satisfying to see them live and die by the sword, but then I would attract the same sword to myself next.

And a complication is that it involves the person I share a room with, who happens to have been a bit of a cow recently, and it has taken me all my time just being consistently rude to her. I think that's enough of a project to be going on with. I sometimes forget that all the toilet training and self-harm has left me incapable of achieving anything useful.

So a pox on all their houses. If I want, in a few months I can encourage the students to mount an official protest when they inevitably fail.




Meanwhile, some unbelievers continue to deny the existence of the USB cable:



5 comments:

  1. Albert? The USB cable is a thing of wonder, but I've no sympathy for you about your jobbie. What with all the nazi gold in store, going back full time was just daft. Anyway, you should do absolutely nothing and, like Father Ted, if anyone asks your opinion, say you think that's an ecumenical affair. BTW Getting rid of students early is a great idea. Fail the lot of them. Better sooner than later. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert? Where are your ching deposits going? Are you selling them off? Just wondered from the last post. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    "...the meeting had mysteriously reconvened itself in my absence."

    That happened to me once, and look what happened as a result - England lost the Ashes.

    However, the Aussie team is so dire nowadays that I expect everyone is wondering whether they'll be able to give England a proper game, this summer, when with my ticket for Edgbaston I will be watching them.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotters. You may have missed the post where the gold was wiped out by a combo of the aunt and the subprimals. And the ching deposits are priceless.

    Mingers. Someone asked me the other day - who was the last Kalimbukan to play at international level? What do I tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myself, of course. Only the other day I captained an all-star Kalimbuka XI (actually it was V plus the dogs) against Brendan's Aussie XI (actually it was VI), out the back. Naturally, Kalimbuka won.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete