Monday, February 6

swimming balance

Swimming report:

I only had time for half a mile yesterday, because I was meeting Kev after, and because I got a minor strain in a hip, from kicking too enthusiastically. 
But the good news is I worked out a tweak for the breathing. After the arm lunge, you exhale as far as you can. PaHa! Nobody can hear you cos you're underwater. Right to the point where it feels like the sides of the lungs are sticking together. That way, when your head surfaces again, you're ready for a maximum involuntary suck in.

Of course it takes timing too. Otherwise you make a goose of yourself by shouting out loud, or blowing a fountainous raspberry in front of yourself. Or inhaling water and choking.

A few years ago, in the piddledorf pool, the old dear said I was the fastest swimmer she had ever seen. A huge exaggeration, unless perhaps I was also the only one she'd ever seen. But it was kindly meant, and the first time she had ever shown anything approaching pride in one of her kids. 

My technique has improved since then, but I'm a few years more decrepit. It all balances up. 

8 comments:

  1. I am a non swimmer. I flounder around well in water and float fairly well.

    Sounds like you've worked out a good system.

    Sometimes faint praise has to be enough because it is all you get. My mom tells me I am her favorite oldest child. Since I am the oldest it is very faint praise and fairly dumb. Ack well.

    Glad you had a good swim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanners. Sounds like your mum would like to be nice to you but can't bring herself to. There were a lot of parents like that.

    Just to keep the cellmate on her toes, I have occasionally told her she's my absolute favorite of all the people in the whole wide house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? Did your mother ever show any other signs of having a sense of humour? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert? Fabulous to hear about the swimming and not waving stuff! Those of us lucky enough to have known you in your prime will testify to what a handsome athlete you always were! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Albert? Fabulous to hear about the swimming and not waving stuff! Those of us lucky enough to have known you in your prime will testify to what a handsome athlete you always were! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your cellmate hits you with the broom when you say that. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hotters. I was on course to be an Olympic athlete, until undesirables drugged me, every weekend.

    Nanners. How did you know she rides a broomstick?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say!

    Are you doing this in water, or is it all allegorical?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete