Monday, January 4

sensible post for year-end personal inventory

I just got round to reading and replying to all recent commenters. Now for a look ahead.

Just for a change, I thought it might be helpful to attempt a sensible post. I came across an item at the Nottingham Therapy blog, where they have a list of common problems that people disclose in their therapy and coaching sessions.

So I'm inviting people to prepare for 2010, using the list to work out their own insanity inventory. I used to have the full score, but when I moved to New South Caledonia and caught a dose of Retention Deficit Disorder, everything started to balance out. Now like normal people I only have about half the symptoms.


Anxieties


  • General anxiety (GAD)

  • Obsessions or Compulsions

  • Anxieties about health, wellbeing or safety

  • Post trauma

  • Discomfort in social situations (or ruminations afterwards) - or Social phobia

  • Panic attacks

  • Specific phobia (e.g. fear of cats)

  • Fear of flying

  • Fear of public speaking



Symptoms


  • Blushing or sweating

  • Sleep problems

  • Shaking or Palpitations

  • Headaches

  • Feeling dizzy, or ‘charged up’

  • Mind constantly whirring, or constant chatter in head

  • Weeping / tearfulness

  • Lethargy/ fatigue

  • Aches and Pains

  • Gastro Intestinal disturbances, digestive problems


Depressions


  • General

  • Recurring

  • Situational

  • Life-stage

  • Mood swings, or feeling up and down

  • Background feeling of fed up or down

  • Feeling numb, or ‘flat’


Behaviour


  • Lack of motivation

  • Bad or stuck habits

  • Addictions (or being over-focussed on something)

  • Doing risky or reckless things

  • Having affairs or flirting inappropriately or compulsively

  • Acting out anger

  • Overeating

  • Undereating

  • Teeth Grinding or lip chomping or suckling

  • Picking, scratching, or biting oneself (e.g. fingers)


Feelings


  • Feeling lost, hurt, or betrayed

  • Guilt

  • Shame

  • Anger

  • Bereavement

  • Frustration

  • Deep sadness

  • Feeling frightened, or scared


Relationships


  • Infidelity

  • Jealousy

  • Abuse

  • Miscommunication

  • Lost spark

  • Hostility

  • Disrespectfulness

  • Parenting issues

  • Family problems

  • Power dynamics

  • Living arrangements


Self


  • Understanding myself

  • Being Defended

  • Aggression

  • Passivity or submissiveness

  • Finding direction


Work


  • Bullying

  • Harassment

  • Change management

  • Stress

  • Working relationships

  • Understanding organisations

  • Understanding others

  • Good work ethic

  • Time management

  • Creating a compelling future

  • Goal setting and achieving


What's your score?

11 comments:

  1. Albert? Sorry, but I think this is for folk who don't meditate. Non-self and emptiness cures all, except for getting your finger attacked by a letter box. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are folk who meditate immune to problems, or just better able to ignore them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? You should try it and see! Anyway, it's bound to help get at the root causes, unlike the chemical cosh! Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert? It doesn't help much with the post trauma. I can attest to that. Elastoplast helps. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say!

    Can I ask for clarification?

    Does "Gastro Intestinal disturbances, digestive problems" include severe flatulence?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hotters. I've already given up all the usual chemical coshes.

    Mingers. Since when did flatulence count as a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say!

    I must admit to a bit of an obsession with crumbs. Won't have them in the house. Top of Doviko's targets for this year is "No crumbs, no, not one"

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say!

    I have a fear of green mambas. Does that count?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say!

    I only feel dizzy after 12 MGTs. Does that count?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say!

    Don't talk to me about STRESS!!

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mingers. I understand that doing nothing useful can be stressful for some people. You could try balancing it with medication, but maybe 12 MGTs is too much balance.

    ReplyDelete