Monday, January 3

new year celebrations

A happy new year to both our readers.

When the fireworks went off at midnight, I woke the cellmate to thank her for putting up with me for another year.

A day before New Year, I had phoned the old dear in the bonkers unit. She sounded quite compos mentis, and I was getting my hopes up. Maybe the delusions had stopped. But then she tried to tell me that they were celebrating New Year days early in Edinburgh, parading around with flaming torches, setting fire to things. As if! She kept going on about it, so I humoured her.

As soon as I got off the phone, I saw a TV news report from Edinburgh about the days of celebrations building up to New Year. People dressed as Vikings or Druids or something, parading around with burning torches, setting fire to things. It probably helps take their minds off the reality of living there.

2 comments:

  1. Albert? You won't catch me wandering about with my viking helmet on! It's mainly foreigners for downunder who come here to do all that. Happy New Year to you anyway, and I hope all your diseases clear up. Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hotters. There's no point having a viking helmet and not wearing it in public. That would be like me leaving the jackboots sitting in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete