Tonight I organised a gathering of effed-up riff-raff, at the pub with the brewery inside. There was Cap'n Kev, plus his cousin and her daughter. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was the life of the party. Can't for the life of me work out why. Perhaps Prussian nobility just feel more comfortable among the troops.
We started on wheat beer, before a detour to black beer. After that it was downhill through pils, summer special, and red lager, before a repeat of the first two brews (which had lost some of their appeal in the meantime - the palate tends to blur out after too many different beers). Everyone agreed that black beer was number one, with wheat beer close behind.
After so much drink, the only reason I'm still able to type now is that I ate a precautionary dinner before getting to the pub. Whereas Kev, on an empty stomach, was well away.
Appendix A: Critical Assessment
- wheat beer - smooth weissbier taste, but clear instead of cloudy
- black beer - dark, smooth and very creamy, like a barley wine
- pils - crisp German-style lager
- summer special - light and citrus, a bit like that Mexican beer with the slice of lime
- red lager - by this stage I was losing the plot a bit, so I can only remember that it tasted red