Friday, December 4

several firsts

I went to the pub to farewell a group of clients who have been with me for years. This must have been the first time in ages that I was in a pub with other people. And it was quite good.

The people I was with were young, and undamaged by toilet training, so they were completely natural and open. And I realised we've come to like each other over the years.

The babe didn't show, but the jerk was there and I bought him a drink. In fact I bought the first round. Another first.

I was introduced to a fascinating pale ale, completely cloudy like weissbier. It was so good, I had another one.

The lovely young thing whom I have known the longest, was cold on the walk home, so I gave her my jacket to wear. It was a reflex, I didn't even stop to think that I would be cold as a result. The gesture was well received and made both of us happy. At my age chivalry is all one has to offer. Well chivalry or cash, but I think an offer of money might have been unwise.

Next day one of them sent an email.
Great to see you at the pub. Thanks for the beer!

Just wanted to say that in my opinion you are an awesome professional. It seemed to me that you were someone who truly cares about our learning and welfare.

Wishing you all the best & hope you have a great Xmas!

Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. I love chivalry! You are such a gentleman.
    I wish I could have been at that pub with all of you, sounds like a fun time.
    xo
    LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Ann, you could have worn your famous Santa outfit.

    At home I'm actually the opposite of a gentleman. It all balances up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Albert? Offering money never goes amiss. "Now that you've warmed up, dear, how's about a ...whatever ... for twenty bucks?" How many of your students are you bonking anyway? Hotboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say!

    What a lovely email that was. Yes, in Jockoland, they probably don't realise that there can sometimes be a chill in the air even in the tropics. I always make sure that Mrs M takes a shawl with her, when we go out. Can also help in a dust storm.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hotters, who said anything about students? I believe Albert's a teacher, maybe you're getting confused.

    Mingers, those Jockos need to realise it's all relative. Which is not quite the same as everything balancing up.

    ReplyDelete